Sunday, January 17, 2016



So, I vowed I wasn't going to buy more animal print fabrics for Jungle January. Then Joann's had 50% their red tag fabrics. So that vow went right out the window. I ran into some lovely rainbow leopard/cheetah print cotton that screamed "MAKE ME INTO A DRESS!"

The Details:
Pattern: Lisette for Simplicity 1419
Alterations: I put a button on the top back because I wanted the zipper lower because of my curves.
Fabric: A cotton rainbow leopard/cheetah print! $1.50 a yard. Oh yes. Plus some black heavy cotton from my stash.
Snazzy Details: It has pockets! Cute button for front keyhole. Color blocked back (see history). Peter pan collar. Pleats!

History: So, there's not a whole lot of history behind this one. It's one of those fabrics that sang to me. The only problem is that there was only a bit over two yards of it. NOOOO! I wanted a dress damn it!! So I improvised.I dug through my stash and found a pattern (I've been meaning to make one up anyway). It wasn't too much shorter that the required fabric for the dress without sleeves but I wanted sleeves (of course). So, through clever laying out of pattern pieces on the single, I was able to get everything on there except the back piece. I wanted to have a contrast collar anyway and had just enough to get the back pieces on it too. So color blocking it is. I actually really like how it turned out:

I ended up having to take in a little bit of extra width all the way around because I'm between sizes. The keyhole was a bit interesting to put together.....getting that facing to lay flat is a pain! Collar worked out good which is a miracle considering my previous experience with peter pan collars.....let's just say my first experience wasn't a pleasant one and I haven't touched them until this pattern. I was also able to use a very random but cute button from my stash. WIN!


Collar and Keyhole!


No comments:

Post a Comment